Friday, October 2, 2009

Let Kids Cook

Good food and good cooking run in my family. Both of my parents are good cooks, and my grandmothers were good cooks also. Both of my grandfathers ran grocery stores (in neighboring towns in California) so they provided the ingredients!

We had good, homemade food almost all the time. Both grandmothers made jam, canned fruits, 'put-up' pickles, baked pies and created memorable meals.

I started to cook at a young age. I remember making dinner for our family of five when I was 12 and my mom was going to be home late from work. About that same time, I remember deciding to try and make homemade cinnamon swirl bread one Saturday without consulting my parents. It took a long time -- what with letting the dough rise twice before rolling it out, sprinkling on the cinnamon and sugar, rolling up the loaf and letting the it bake in the oven. My parents were surprised and I was proud when the loaf turned out perfectly browned and very, very tasty -- especially when toasted.

So, I say encourage your kids to come into the kitchen. They will develop an appreciation for food and an ability to be creative as they watch and help in the kitchen.

Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment