Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Good-Bye, Gourmet


November will be the last issue of Gourmet magazine. Closing it down might be a good business decision for Conde Nast, who also publish Bon Appetit, but it is a real loss to me. Gourmet was a source of inspiration for some great meals. I've saved many issues, such as January 2007 that focused on Italian food and November 2005 -- inspiration for Thanksgiving.

Daily coooking is most fun when you feel inspired to get in the kitchen and create something delicious. Gourmet provided me with some of that inspiration for many years.

The excellent website www.epicurious.com is a compilation of recipes from both Bon Appetit and Gourmet. You can easily search recipes and store your favorites in your own 'recipe box'. I even have the app on my iPhone so that I can search a recipe and check out the ingredients on the go (most often when I realize I need to shop before heading home to make dinner).

Farewell, Gourmet, for now. I'm guessing that somehow in some form you will survive.

-Patty


1 comment:

  1. Patty,
    Like you I am sorry to see this magazine end. My older brother has subsribed to Gourmet for as long as I can remember.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete